Note: Select the 'Volunteers for an Existing Team' option if you are volunteering as part of a Team that is running the event. Select the 'Volunteers not associated with a team' option if you are volunteering on behalf of a charity or non-profit organization.
Participation as a race official is the key to any events success. This is especially true for a relay that is spread out over 200 miles. Our desire is to provide a safe, fun and memorable atmosphere for all the participants (runners, volunteers and even the race directors). So thank you again and enjoy the ride!
If you are a volunteer that is not volunteering on behalf of a team, you are eligible for a donation to be made to a charity of your choice. The amount of the donation and the time requirements are as follows:
- Volunteer shift – 6 to 9 hours - $150 donation per volunteer
More Information on Volunteer Donations
- We need 2 volunteers at each exchange zone while the zone is open
- The maximum donation given for a single exchange zone is $300 – this is 2 volunteers covering full shifts
- You may have more than 2 volunteers at a zone, but there will be no donation for these volunteers
The Palmetto Race Group, LLC will provide the donation after the relay (generally 2 to 3 weeks) has been completed and all volunteer duties have been satisfactorily met. The donation will be paid to the organization on behalf of the volunteer and not to the volunteer.
VOLUNTEER REGISTRATION INFORMATION
- Volunteers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
- During registration volunteers have the opportunity to select a preferred section of the race course, but we cannot guarantee a placement in this section. Assignments are given on a first come/first serve basis.
- There is a section on the registration form where you can write more specific details about your location/time frame preference
Any volunteers who are late or fail to show up for their duties will not only jeopardize the success of the relay, but also forfeit their donation/refund that the Palmetto Race Group, LLC is making to the charity on their behalf.
KEY TASKS AND RACE INFORMATION
The 200-mile course is divided into 36 segments called Legs. At the end of each leg is an Exchange Zone (there are 35 exchanges, plus the start and finish). Each team has up to 12 runners that run the route in rotation. Each team's current runner runs a leg to the next exchange before handing a baton to the next runner in the Runner Exchange Zone.
Volunteers are stationed at exchanges zones to act as Race Officials, and to perform the following duties.
- Record arrival of teams coming into an exchange
- Ensure a safe race by keeping runners and vehicles separated, ensuring runners wear the appropriate gear and directing runners to which side of the road to run. For example, for nighttime legs runners will be required to wear reflective vests, headlamps, and blinking lights to ensure they are seen by cars.
- Monitor for rule violations (no earbuds after 7:00 pm - 7:00 am, lights required at night, etc. - all of these will be provided in the volunteer handbook before the race)
- Provide guidance on the next leg of the relay based on information provided
- Assist drivers into exchanges to reduce vehicle congestion
There are a few rules to enforce with vehicles coming in and out of an exchange.
- Active Vans drive to the exchange ahead of incoming runners to prepare outgoing runners. In the event an exchange zone’s parking lot is full, active vans should park along the side of the road opposite (before or after) the exchange zone so that it does not force runners into the middle of the road (assuming this is an option).
- Vans should be pulled well off the road so as not to interfere with other traffic and should not be blocking residence's driveways.
SAFETY AND COURTESY
Since there will not be any road closures, traffic control or aid stations, participants must obey the South Carolina State Traffic Laws. Volunteers are not authorized to direct traffic. Please follow any requests from property owners.
READY TO SIGN UP